Saturday, December 17, 2005

China- Day One

Chengdu- this city is a very bustling cross between old and new China.


Had fun walking to my favorite Scottish restaurant for breakfast


and for a while was followed by a cute little girl enthralled with this giant foreigner. The Chinese are very friendly, polite and hospitable. My first taxi ride to lunch was memorable (YIKES),

and my first genuine attempt at using chopsticks didn’t leave me hungry. We had some really good food at a sit down restaurant, and the three of us ate lunch for 37 yuan (about $4.50).


Toe Sheds-Because the city is dirty and polluted, the Chinese don’t wear their shoes inside their homes. Also, the tile floors are very cold, so my sister graciously provided some slippers to wear. I’m remembering them as “Toe Sheds” because the Chinese word for them is Tuo Xie, which is pronounced like, you guessed it, Toe Shed (without the D).

Elevator Off Button- The Chinese are very much ahead of Americans in their technology. For example, in the US, I’ve always wondered why, when you hit the wrong floor button in an elevator you can’t change your mind, push the button again to toggle it off and choose the correct button. Well, here you can. These Chinese are amazing !

Shopping Cart Ramp- We went to a large two-story modern market. In case you’re wondering how you get from produce to housewares on two separate floors, here again is an example of the amazing Chinese technology. They have an inclined moving sidewalk like you’ve seen at airports. Somehow, the wheels on the cart won’t move while on the ramp, which obviously prevents pranksters like me letting go of a fully loaded cart at the top and yelling, “Clean up on aisle four”.

2x4- Speaking of “four”, I asked directions at the airport for my lost luggage (another long story, sigh). The airport security guard I asked spoke little English, but held up two fingers and proudly told me it was on baggage carousel 4. No wonder the luggage got lost.

Canadians- Well, leave it to our neighbors to the north to confuse me, eh? I didn’t realize I was supposed to pick up my baggage in Vancouver, so that it could clear customs. Since it was checked from Spokane through to Beijing, I didn’t even think to look for it. Apparently, it sat in Vancouver for a day, lost and lonely, until I filed a missing luggage report in Beijing. Should get it tomorrow. Had a nice time talking on the plane with Kirk from somewhere in Alberta who was importing motorized skateboards from China. He made the long trip interesting, and I made a new friend.

Longan fruit- My sister described the as being like an eyeball within a husk, and she was right. It kind of tasted like a cross between a grape and a grapefruit, but had a slimy coating. Here is some more information on the longan fruit, described as “tropical”. By the way, the tangerines here are wonderful !

Tourist Bargain- While ordering lunch, I was approached by someone wanting to shine my shoes, and was provided with a pair of Toe Sheds while eating. I was charged 2, rather than the customary one yuan (about 12 cents) because “the shoes are so large”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home