Monday, December 26, 2005

China- A Busy First Week

Concert- Played the piano concert for about 575 Chinese seventh grade students at #7 Middle School. This is a private boarding school where Lisa and Adam both taught this past semester. Adam’s students were older and did not attend the concert, but many of Lisa’s students were there. The kids were very polite and clapped a lot. Several of the students had rehearsed little introductory speeches to welcome “Mr. Wei (Way)” (my name in Chinese is Wei Da Wei) and I was given a big bouquet of flowers at the end of the concert. Then it was time for Q&A, and I had several students ask some fun questions such as what other instruments did I play, was I married, and when would I be back. “I hope soon”, I replied. Was mobbed afterwards signing autographs. The kids were so cute.




Dinner Out- Got to go to a really nice restaurant with some friends of the family, Jackie & Cindy, who were in Lisa and Adam’s wedding. Jackie brought a bottle of wine which he was very proud of, but I had to laugh at the small wine glasses they poured into. Apparently, the Chinese have a low tolerance for alcohol, so the portions are a lot smaller than Americans would typically have.

Wholesale Market & the Tailor- Lisa and Adam took me first to their tailor to find out how much material he needed, and then we went to the wholesale market to buy fabric for shirts. The market was very interesting and very crowded. Adam pointed out some of the ethnic minorities from different parts of China. Had an interesting time at one booth with a very animated lady unwilling to barter, but I think Adam was just having fun with her. She was very nice.

Western Food- Okay, for all you that know me, I’m not being an ugly American only eating at McD’s. Even the Pizza Hut and Subway here have been a good foreign experience. It may have an American corporate name on the door, but it is definitely not entirely the same. I mean, when’s the last time you went to PH and ordered ostrich or tuna pizza ?

Hot Pot- This is a very traditional Sezchuan style meal similar to fondue. Small plates of food, such as meatballs, vegetables (including lotus root and mushroom sprouts) are ordered and then placed into a boiling pot of hot pepper oil. It’s a lot of fun to do as a group, and it’s good spicy food, which I love.

Chopsticks- Well, I’m not going hungry, that’s for sure. I only have had to break down and ask for a fork once, and that's because the fancy restaurant had very slippery chopsticks that I couldn't seem to grasp. It’s actually a good thing I’m NOT using a fork, or I’d eat even more. I fell into my own style of using chopsticks which my sister says is more like how the Chinese hold them, so I’m doing good.


Foot Massage- Went to a nice salon to get a foot massage. While not technically a “pedicure”, it was nice. The attendant worked on different reflexology points on the bottom of my feet and it was somewhat relaxing. I kind of prefer a regular back massage (see previous post).

Other piano "gigs"- I got to play piano/keyboards for some Chinese who were singing Christmas carols at the local computer mall. It was very chaotic and loud, but it was neat to get to use my talent in whatever way possible. Also, I played for a Chinese Christmas party held at a big hotel. Chinese kids don't often do extracurricular activites like American kids do, so playing the piano here is a bit of a novelty.

Scenery- Here is a nice shot of a greenbelt area along the river shot on an overcast day.

A picture showing of old and new China.

Lisa & me at an outdoor mall in "Oldtown Chengdu"


More to come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home